Strengthen and stretch at home! Try these exercises with items that you already have in home such as soup cans and laundry detergent. If you have any difficulty or questions performing these exercises, call an Elite Physical Therapist today! RI 401-737-4581 MA 508-306-9525 #ElitePhysicalTherapy #YourHealthYourChoice #StayActive
1) Bicep curls using soup cans/ canned goods – Take any 2 canned goods that are in your home (equal in weight) that are ~2 lbs or greater. You can also use light dumbbells if you have them. Start with your arms straight, palms facing up. Next bend your elbows so you are curling the weights up towards you. Complete 2-3 sets of 10 reps until you feel a tolerable muscle burn in your biceps muscles (front of upper arm).
2) Tricep dips using chair with knees bent – Utilize the seat of a firm desk/ kitchen chair. Place your arms on the back of the chair with fingers facing towards you, shoulders down and back, and knees bent with feet flat underneath you. Bend at the elbows to lower your bottom down towards the floor. Then, straighten your elbows to lift yourself back up. Complete 2-3 sets of 10 reps until you feel a tolerable muscle burn in your tricep muscles (back of upper arm).
3) Bridges on edge of chair – Lay flat on the floor with your feet propped up on the edge of a chair. Push through your feet to raise your bottom up into the air until you make a straight line with your trunk and legs. If you are experiencing any lower back pain, do not lift up as high. Complete 2-3 sets of 10 reps until you feel a tolerable muscle burn in your lower leg muscles.
4-5. [A Laundry Detergent Bottle can be used to replace a medicine ball, and help you with weight shifting and core strengthening during your home workouts.]
4) Squats with detergent – Setting your feet about hip-width apart and engaging your core, sit back towards a sturdy chair surface while punching forward the detergent bottle on the way down. On the way up, squeeze the glutes together and bring the detergent bottle closer to you. To modify, add a pillow to the chair to elevate the chair surface. Complete 2-3 sets of 10 reps.
5) Russian twists with detergent – Sitting on the floor and leaning backwards, engage your core and elevate your feet so that you are balancing just behind your sit bones. Twist side-to-side holding the detergent and engage your core throughout. To modify, perform with your feet firmly planted on the floor. Complete 2-3 sets of 10 reps.
6) Hamstring stretch with dog leash or belt – Place a belt around your foot and hold on with both hands. Lay back and begin lifting your leg up, keeping your knee straight. Use the belt to provide a comfortable stretch behind the back of your leg and knee. Hold for 30 seconds, perform 3x.
7) Quad stretch with dog leash or belt – Lying on your stomach, wrap a belt around your ankle and gently pull the strap over your shoulder, bringing your heel towards your buttocks. You should feel a stretch along the front of your thigh. Hold for 30 seconds, perform 3x.”